Friday, December 19, 2014

Lessons From My Toddler: Daily Provision

Two things you learn quickly if you spend any amount of time attempting to parent a toddler: 1. Depravity is real.  That sin nature is there to see in all it's glory!  2. The things that they do with their actions are often things that I do in my own heart.  Since I've been a Follower of Jesus for nearly two decades, I can easily forget that I am a sinner saved by grace.  I always know the proper way to behave and most of the time, accomplish that.  But my heart is what God wants to continually mold to be like him.  Then the actions that follow will truly glorify Him.

So, back to Jordan.  He has taught me so much about how to ask (or how now to ask!) for things.  He is a creature of habit, which is weird considering how much of a force of nature he is.  Here's our morning routine:

1. He calls out from me from his bed. (He hasn't figured out that he can just get up and I'm keeping that a secret). 

2. He continues to call out for me in a louder and more insistent way until I come and open the door.

3. He gets out of bed and turns of his "noise". (If I do it...wrong move).

4. He gathers a certain, undetermined number of animals and blankets that he carries or (not so) gently requests that I carry for him.

5. We walk down the hall to the living room and find a prepared glass of milk or water-juice (water with a squirt of crystal lite flavoring.)  The glass should be placed in a location where he can easily grab it on his way to the recliner.

6. He drinks his milk and we snuggle and watch the news until he is done and he is ready to get up.

7. I fix him a breakfast of oatmeal and some sort of fruit.

8. Our day begins.

If any of these is altered in any way, well, good luck.

I love our daily routine!  I'm going to miss the days when he wants to climb into my lap.  It's a little more complicated with another little person who needs me, but thankfully, Jordan has gotten used to Marcus being a part of our snuggle-fest if he needs to join us.

So, if you could, mentally draw an arrow from the space between #6 and #7. 

6.5 Jordan communicates with me by some means that he is hungry.  Over time this has become, "Mom, can I have some 'eatmeal'?"  Of course, let's do it!  That means I can drink my coffee once we complete all of the steps.  I am so down with giving him his "eatmeal", especially because I'm his Mom and I want him to eat.  I provide that for him every day.  He expects it and finds security in it.

So what is the point here?  Well, partially this is a good place to reference anyone who might be babysitting him to make sure that they get the routine right. 

But, I've been thinking about the idea of God giving me my "daily bread".  I've never once had to miss a meal.  Every morning there is something to eat for breakfast.  It's usually tasty breakfast food, but every once in a while it's leftovers or something odd.  But I always get my breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks, etc.  I always have oxygen to breathe and a warm place to sleep.  I always have  His Word to go to so I can find wisdom or encouragement.

But how often do I ask for God's provision?  Do I just expect it to be there?  Or even worse, am I like Jordan who loses his cool if we are out of oatmeal and he has to eat something terrible like waffles?  If I don't get exactly what I want, do I throw a fit?

Well, I can pretty much guarantee that you won't come over and find me rolling on the floor and throwing things like Jordan does.  But if you looked in my heart, would you see my discontent with my minivan and the cd player that doesn't always work?  Sigh.  Yes.  You would also see my whining about how we don't have nice bedroom furniture and that our living room furniture is all hand-me-downs (some from 1984).  And you would probably see my complaints about being interrupted when I am busy doing something I enjoy to go change a diaper.  Yep.  It's pretty ugly.

When Jesus showed us how to pray in The Lord's Prayer, he taught us to ask for our "daily bread".  So, we're not supposed to just expect it.  We're supposed to ask for it.  When we get it, we're supposed to be thankful for what it is.  And we're actually supposed to go to the Lord and thank him for it.

I cannot tell you how much joy I get when we're snuggling in the chair and Jordan says "Mama, can I have some 'eatmeal', please?"  And then when I get it for him, he says "Thank you, Mama."  It's so simple and yet it makes me feel so appreciated.

How much more can I bring joy to my Heavenly Father by asking and thanking him for his gracious provision?  One of my favorite authors is Elisabeth Elliot and she talks about how we ALWAYS have EXACTLY what we need.  Every second of every day.  Even the hard days or the days that we are lacking, we ALWAYS have EXACTLY what we need.  Lord, help me to be thankful for your minute by minute provision.  I have everything I need and more.  I am blessed.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment